Divestopedia Explains Consideration SharesCash is the best consideration since there is no risk associated. With any other form of consideration, there is additional risk which the seller needs to be compensated for in the form of future return.
When consideration shares form part of a transaction structure, the key questions are:
- How is the value of the consideration shares determined, and are the assumptions in this valuation reasonable?
- What is the future value of the shares when they get monetized, and will the eventual return compensate the seller for the associated risk of holding them?
- How easy will it be to monetize the consideration shares in the future?
The seller should also review the buyer's previous history of creating value for its shareholders. While the past is not indicative of the future, a history of success goes a long way in generating confidence that the shares received may actually be worth more when they are sold in the future.
Retained equity, non-cash consideration
- Why Enterprise Value Doesn't Tell the Whole Story About a Company's Worth
- Do You Know What Your Company Is Worth?
- Magic Tricks to Help You Get the Valuation You Want
- 5 Value Creation Techniques in Roll-Ups
- Business Valuation Excel Template: 10 Simple Steps to Success
- Private Equity Deal Sourcing Strategies in 2022