Valuation

The valuation of a company is a subjective excercise that depends on numerous factors. Potential buyers will try to beat down your valuation every chance they get. This section will arm you with the tools needed to defend your valuation when it's time to sell.

Challenging How We Think of EBITDA Challenging How We Think of EBITDA Challenging How We Think of EBITDA Challenging How We Think of EBITDA

Most business owners use EBITDA as a valuation method, even though it isn't GAAP. That being said, is it really as good of a valuation...

How Your Company Is Valued Depends on the Buyer How Your Company Is Valued Depends on the Buyer How Your Company Is Valued Depends on the Buyer How Your Company Is Valued Depends on the Buyer

Are you preparing to sell your business? Not all buyers will value your company equally, so make sure you are positioning your business in...

Podcast: Preventative Valuations: How Doing a Valuation Early Impacts Your Sale Price, an Interview with John Carvalho Podcast: Preventative Valuations: How Doing a Valuation Early Impacts Your Sale Price, an Interview with John Carvalho Podcast: Preventative Valuations: How Doing a Valuation Early Impacts Your Sale Price, an Interview with John Carvalho Podcast: Preventative Valuations: How Doing a Valuation Early Impacts Your Sale Price, an Interview with John Carvalho

Why do the pros do business valuations three or more years before they're ready to sell? This Life After Business podcast showcases...

4 Ways to Unlock Cash in Working Capital 4 Ways to Unlock Cash in Working Capital 4 Ways to Unlock Cash in Working Capital 4 Ways to Unlock Cash in Working Capital

There is a better valuation waiting to happen for your company if you can show better working capital. Here are some tried and true methods...

The Importance of Projections in Determining Business Value The Importance of Projections in Determining Business Value The Importance of Projections in Determining Business Value The Importance of Projections in Determining Business Value

It's no secret that valuations are a big part of the business selling process, and it's a critical step. Weighing future projections is a...

Four Simple Ways to Increase Your Business Value Four Simple Ways to Increase Your Business Value Four Simple Ways to Increase Your Business Value Four Simple Ways to Increase Your Business Value

Author and speaker of M&A and business finance, Brad Mewes, discusses four simple ways to increase your business value through organic...

How to Structure the Right Investment Banking Engagement Letter How to Structure the Right Investment Banking Engagement Letter How to Structure the Right Investment Banking Engagement Letter How to Structure the Right Investment Banking Engagement Letter

If you need an investment banking engagement letter, you need to know what to include and how to word it. Here are the critical terms of...

The Only Valuation Method that Really Matters The Only Valuation Method that Really Matters The Only Valuation Method that Really Matters The Only Valuation Method that Really Matters

There are many ways to do a business valuation, but is it the right one? For most buyers, there's only one business valuation that matters:...

Should My Accountant Do My Business Valuation? Should My Accountant Do My Business Valuation? Should My Accountant Do My Business Valuation? Should My Accountant Do My Business Valuation?

Your accountant is willing to do the valuation of your business, but should you be willing to let them? Here are some of the main reasons...

The Top 10 EBITDA Adjustments to Make Before Selling a Business The Top 10 EBITDA Adjustments to Make Before Selling a Business The Top 10 EBITDA Adjustments to Make Before Selling a Business The Top 10 EBITDA Adjustments to Make Before Selling a Business

Investment bankers conduct a comprehensive review of historical numbers to show a company in the best financial position possible when it's...

Master Ten Value Drivers to Sell Your Business at the Highest Price Master Ten Value Drivers to Sell Your Business at the Highest Price Master Ten Value Drivers to Sell Your Business at the Highest Price Master Ten Value Drivers to Sell Your Business at the Highest Price

When it comes time to sell your business, you need to master these 10 value drivers to give yourself the best position possible in today's...

What Is My Electronic Manufacturing Business Worth? What Is My Electronic Manufacturing Business Worth? What Is My Electronic Manufacturing Business Worth? What Is My Electronic Manufacturing Business Worth?

Figuring out what your electronic manufacturing business is worth is an important first step to entering the market. This article details...

What Is My Equipment Rental Business Worth? What Is My Equipment Rental Business Worth? What Is My Equipment Rental Business Worth? What Is My Equipment Rental Business Worth?

The best valuations to use when you need to know how much your company can sell for and the market comparisons you need to be doing before...

What Is My Concrete Business Worth? What Is My Concrete Business Worth? What Is My Concrete Business Worth? What Is My Concrete Business Worth?

What is the best way to evaluate your concrete business' worth in today's market? Explore the information in this article to give yourself...

What Is My Chemical Manufacturing Plant Worth? What Is My Chemical Manufacturing Plant Worth? What Is My Chemical Manufacturing Plant Worth? What Is My Chemical Manufacturing Plant Worth?

A comprehensive look at the various factors that go into valuing and selling your chemical manufacturing plant.

What Is My Auto Repair Business Worth? What Is My Auto Repair Business Worth? What Is My Auto Repair Business Worth? What Is My Auto Repair Business Worth?

Do you know how much your shop is really worth? Have you done your valuation? This is the best strategy to get what you deserve out of your...

A Valuation Is Not Always the Best Way to Measure Value A Valuation Is Not Always the Best Way to Measure Value A Valuation Is Not Always the Best Way to Measure Value A Valuation Is Not Always the Best Way to Measure Value

Intangibles make up 80% of the value of the average business. Understanding these intangibles helps create a map of how different parts of...

What Is Your Financial Planning Practice Really Worth? What Is Your Financial Planning Practice Really Worth? What Is Your Financial Planning Practice Really Worth? What Is Your Financial Planning Practice Really Worth?

Valuing a financial planning practice has changed over the years. Understanding proper valuation methods is critical to setting an owner's...

Podcast: How Much Money Do You Need From an Exit to Be Financially Secure? Podcast: How Much Money Do You Need From an Exit to Be Financially Secure? Podcast: How Much Money Do You Need From an Exit to Be Financially Secure? Podcast: How Much Money Do You Need From an Exit to Be Financially Secure?

Valuation is important when selling a business, but after-tax proceeds are even more critical. Learn about methods to figuring out how much...