Types of Consideration

convertible bond, debt convertible bond, debt convertible bond, debt convertible bond, debt

Finding a way to get the maximum valuation possible for your business when you're ready to sell is a challenge faced by every business...

exit planning, exit strategy exit planning, exit strategy exit planning, exit strategy exit planning, exit strategy

Ready to sell your business? Before you put the 'For Sale' sign up, learn what steps you should be taking first.

Top Excuses Owners Use to Avoid Exit Planning Top Excuses Owners Use to Avoid Exit Planning Top Excuses Owners Use to Avoid Exit Planning Top Excuses Owners Use to Avoid Exit Planning

You will rationalize reasons to stay involved in your business until you've missed your golden opportunity to exit. If anything in this...

A Visual Framework for Business Valuation A Visual Framework for Business Valuation A Visual Framework for Business Valuation A Visual Framework for Business Valuation

Tim Vipond of Corporate Finance Institute offers a visual aide that he's created to help you better understand business valuations and how...

valuation valuation valuation valuation

In valuing a business, an appraiser must analyze every aspect and quantify his/her analysis of the company’s risk into value. George...

Earnouts: The Double-Edged Sword for Sellers Earnouts: The Double-Edged Sword for Sellers Earnouts: The Double-Edged Sword for Sellers Earnouts: The Double-Edged Sword for Sellers

The earnout is an underused, and often misunderstood, part of the business deal structure. Find out when it works... and when it doesn't.

'I Sold My Business at 10X Multiple.' A Multiple of What (and When)? 'I Sold My Business at 10X Multiple.' A Multiple of What (and When)? 'I Sold My Business at 10X Multiple.' A Multiple of What (and When)? 'I Sold My Business at 10X Multiple.' A Multiple of What (and When)?

How many times have you heard that a company sold for a big multiple? Have you ever wondered what this multiple refers to? This article...

Pitfalls to Watch for in Professional Practice Mergers & Acquisitions Pitfalls to Watch for in Professional Practice Mergers & Acquisitions Pitfalls to Watch for in Professional Practice Mergers & Acquisitions Pitfalls to Watch for in Professional Practice Mergers & Acquisitions

You may only do one merger or acquisition in your life, but it will be one of the most important transactions of your life. Here are some...

Customer Communication in Mergers and Acquisitions Customer Communication in Mergers and Acquisitions Customer Communication in Mergers and Acquisitions Customer Communication in Mergers and Acquisitions

Considering selling your buisness? Don't forget about your customers. While the merger or acquisition may be in the best interest of your...

Key Factors in Executing a Management Buyout Key Factors in Executing a Management Buyout Key Factors in Executing a Management Buyout Key Factors in Executing a Management Buyout

Executing a management buyout requires a willing seller and a prepared management team. Find out the key factors that are required to...

Why A Major Corporation Would Buy Your Local Business Why A Major Corporation Would Buy Your Local Business Why A Major Corporation Would Buy Your Local Business Why A Major Corporation Would Buy Your Local Business

What would make a large corporation like Bell purchase a local business? Could your business appeal to a larger competitor for a sizeable...

Succession Planning: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Succession Planning: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Succession Planning: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Succession Planning: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Succession of your business ownership is a process rather than a single event. Here are some good and bad (and ugly) ways to prepare for...

Both Sides of the Table: The Seller Becomes a Buyer Both Sides of the Table: The Seller Becomes a Buyer Both Sides of the Table: The Seller Becomes a Buyer Both Sides of the Table: The Seller Becomes a Buyer

Learn the perspective of a buyer from an entrepreneur who has experiences both selling and buying businesses.

Why the Next 180 Days Are Significant When Preparing to Sell Your Business Why the Next 180 Days Are Significant When Preparing to Sell Your Business Why the Next 180 Days Are Significant When Preparing to Sell Your Business Why the Next 180 Days Are Significant When Preparing to Sell Your Business

When business owners are preparing to sell, the next 180 days is a critical time period to execute all significant changes that may be...

Earnouts or Burnouts: Don't Get Burned on an Earnout Earnouts or Burnouts: Don't Get Burned on an Earnout Earnouts or Burnouts: Don't Get Burned on an Earnout Earnouts or Burnouts: Don't Get Burned on an Earnout

Earnouts are difficult legal clauses to manage and can often lead to misunderstanding and difficulty realizing them. Here is a practical...

Is the Time Approaching to Sell Your Business? Is the Time Approaching to Sell Your Business? Is the Time Approaching to Sell Your Business? Is the Time Approaching to Sell Your Business?

Three areas to consider when deciding if now is the right time to sell your business.

How to Retain Key Employees During a Sale Process How to Retain Key Employees During a Sale Process How to Retain Key Employees During a Sale Process How to Retain Key Employees During a Sale Process

If not managed properly, poor deal team engagement can harm your sale price, or worse, kill your deal. Learn how to motivate your key...

Seven Paradoxes of Middle Market M&A Seven Paradoxes of Middle Market M&A Seven Paradoxes of Middle Market M&A Seven Paradoxes of Middle Market M&A

For over 25 years, Rob Slee has seen hundreds of people fail to earn a living in the M&A industry. Learn these 7 paradoxes he says their...

Finding the Right Investment Bank to Sell Your Business Finding the Right Investment Bank to Sell Your Business Finding the Right Investment Bank to Sell Your Business Finding the Right Investment Bank to Sell Your Business

Though you may have interacted with investment banks before, hiring the right one for a transaction that can represent the summation of...