Ian R. Campbell is a graduate of Western University’s Ivey Business School and is a Fellow of both the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario and the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators. He is the author of several business valuation texts, most recently The Valuation of Business Interests (2001). He is a past director of several publicly and privately held corporations.
Ian first offered business valuation advisory services in Canada in 1969. From 1972 to 1976 he headed the business valuation practice of one of Canada’s largest public accounting firms. In 1976 he founded Toronto-based Campbell Valuation Partners Ltd., one of Canada’s foremost independent business valuation consultancies. He retired from that firm in 2013.
The Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators recognizes Ian’s contribution to the Canadian business valuation profession through its annual funding of the Ian R. Campbell Research Initiative.
Since 1969, Ian has:
Been instrumental in developing the practice of business valuation consulting in Canada through participating in the founding of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators, lecturing and writing
Advised hundreds of Canadian business owners and their professional advisors with respect to business valuation, business succession planning and business sales and acquisition matters
Testified in business valuation matters before Canadian courts in appraisal/oppression remedy shareholder dispute matters, in income tax cases and in cases dealing with Canadian securities law
Interacted with and rendered business valuation and transition advice to a large cross-section of family (and non-family) business owners who have successfully transitioned their businesses through two or more generations
In 2014 published the book 50 Hurdles: Business Transition Simplified in order to fill what he thought to be a gap in business transition literature. He also publishes the Business Transition and Valuation Review, a free subscription newsletter
Ian now speaks regularly on the topic of family business transition and offers overview business transition and valuation advice to business owners and their professional advisors
Recent Questions by Ian Campbell
- Which professional is most qualified to perform a business valuation for the purpose of selling?
- Is EBITDA the best metric to use when calculating business value?
- Should comparable market transactions be used for a notional business valuation?
- How do I differentiate between growth capex versus sustaining capex?
- If you had to pick one lever to pull to increase business value, which one would it be?
- How important is growth in business value to the success or failure of generational business transition?
- What level of business valuation engagement is most appropriate?
- How frequently should you get a business valuation?
- How does globalization and the current economy impact business value?
- How important is expert objectivity when performing a notional business valuation?
Recent Articles by Ian Campbell
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter