Valuation

The valuation of a company is a subjective excercise that depends on numerous factors. Potential buyers will try to beat down your valuation every chance they get. This section will arm you with the tools needed to defend your valuation when it's time to sell.

investing, IPO investing, IPO investing, IPO investing, IPO

Public and private companies are valued differently by the types of buyers who want to acquire them. Take some lessons from Roger Sippl of...

customer connection, customer due diligence customer connection, customer due diligence customer connection, customer due diligence customer connection, customer due diligence

Have you ever heard of customer due diligence? Did you disregard it? Today's podcast with Anthony Bahr will change your view on that. Find...

employee-first, culture employee-first, culture employee-first, culture employee-first, culture

Culture is an often underrated component of your business' value and sustainability. Learn how building an employee-first culture can...

valuation, value to owner valuation, value to owner valuation, value to owner valuation, value to owner

You might have an idea of what your company is worth, but is it accurate? Buyers may not see the same value in your company that you do....

The Reasonable Payback Period for an Investment in a Small- or Medium-sized Business The Reasonable Payback Period for an Investment in a Small- or Medium-sized Business The Reasonable Payback Period for an Investment in a Small- or Medium-sized Business The Reasonable Payback Period for an Investment in a Small- or Medium-sized Business

What should you expect your payback period to be when you sell your small or medium business? You'll find this depends on a variety of...

recast EBITDA recast EBITDA recast EBITDA recast EBITDA

Recasting EBITDA removes expenses that would not be incurred by a new owner. However, business sellers get carried away with the process...

Podcast: What Factors Impact Predicting Future Value of a Company? Interview with Ken Sanginario Podcast: What Factors Impact Predicting Future Value of a Company? Interview with Ken Sanginario Podcast: What Factors Impact Predicting Future Value of a Company? Interview with Ken Sanginario Podcast: What Factors Impact Predicting Future Value of a Company? Interview with Ken Sanginario

Predicting future value (and future cash flows) of a company is actually a refined formula. Ken Sanginario shares his years of knowledge...

What to Keep in Mind to Maximize Valuation What to Keep in Mind to Maximize Valuation What to Keep in Mind to Maximize Valuation What to Keep in Mind to Maximize Valuation

In order to avoid potentially costly mistakes, you should develop an exit strategy well in advance of a sale (preferably with the help of...

Valuations Are Necessary, Unless You're Very Lucky Valuations Are Necessary, Unless You're Very Lucky Valuations Are Necessary, Unless You're Very Lucky Valuations Are Necessary, Unless You're Very Lucky

Between volatile markets and inflation, sometimes valuations don't tell the whole story. Here's an in-depth look at the few situations...

What's Missing in EBITDA? What's Missing in EBITDA? What's Missing in EBITDA? What's Missing in EBITDA?

EBITDA is a common measurement for business value. But is it the right method for your business? What does EBITDA miss when it comes to...

Challenging How We Think of EBITDA Challenging How We Think of EBITDA Challenging How We Think of EBITDA Challenging How We Think of EBITDA

Most business owners use EBITDA as a valuation method, even though it isn't GAAP. That being said, is it really as good of a valuation...

Podcast: Preventative Valuations: How Doing a Valuation Early Impacts Your Sale Price, an Interview with John Carvalho Podcast: Preventative Valuations: How Doing a Valuation Early Impacts Your Sale Price, an Interview with John Carvalho Podcast: Preventative Valuations: How Doing a Valuation Early Impacts Your Sale Price, an Interview with John Carvalho Podcast: Preventative Valuations: How Doing a Valuation Early Impacts Your Sale Price, an Interview with John Carvalho

Why do the pros do business valuations three or more years before they're ready to sell? This Life After Business podcast showcases...

Four Simple Ways to Increase Your Business Value Four Simple Ways to Increase Your Business Value Four Simple Ways to Increase Your Business Value Four Simple Ways to Increase Your Business Value

Author and speaker of M&A and business finance, Brad Mewes, discusses four simple ways to increase your business value through organic...

How to Structure the Right Investment Banking Engagement Letter How to Structure the Right Investment Banking Engagement Letter How to Structure the Right Investment Banking Engagement Letter How to Structure the Right Investment Banking Engagement Letter

If you need an investment banking engagement letter, you need to know what to include and how to word it. Here are the critical terms of...

The Only Valuation Method that Really Matters The Only Valuation Method that Really Matters The Only Valuation Method that Really Matters The Only Valuation Method that Really Matters

There are many ways to do a business valuation, but is it the right one? For most buyers, there's only one business valuation that matters:...

The Value of a Valuation The Value of a Valuation The Value of a Valuation The Value of a Valuation

The best valuations cover all the basis. Are you getting the best? Find out what nuances are often overlooked in a business valuation and...

Should My Accountant Do My Business Valuation? Should My Accountant Do My Business Valuation? Should My Accountant Do My Business Valuation? Should My Accountant Do My Business Valuation?

Your accountant is willing to do the valuation of your business, but should you be willing to let them? Here are some of the main reasons...

What Is My Electronic Manufacturing Business Worth? What Is My Electronic Manufacturing Business Worth? What Is My Electronic Manufacturing Business Worth? What Is My Electronic Manufacturing Business Worth?

Figuring out what your electronic manufacturing business is worth is an important first step to entering the market. This article details...

What Is My Equipment Rental Business Worth? What Is My Equipment Rental Business Worth? What Is My Equipment Rental Business Worth? What Is My Equipment Rental Business Worth?

The best valuations to use when you need to know how much your company can sell for and the market comparisons you need to be doing before...