Valuation

The valuation of a company is a subjective excercise that depends on numerous factors. Potential buyers will try to beat down your valuation every chance they get. This section will arm you with the tools needed to defend your valuation when it's time to sell.

earnout earnout earnout earnout

Is an earnout right for your business sale? What should a seller be on the lookout for?

5 Things Running Taught Me About Building a Valuable Business 5 Things Running Taught Me About Building a Valuable Business 5 Things Running Taught Me About Building a Valuable Business 5 Things Running Taught Me About Building a Valuable Business

Think running and business have nothing in common? Think again. Here are five things I learned from running that can help you build a more...

timing timing timing timing

When selling a business, time is not your friend. Time is the enemy of all deals. In fact, 'time wounds all deals' is an expression that...

Business Development Is Vital to Success Business Development Is Vital to Success Business Development Is Vital to Success Business Development Is Vital to Success

One of the best ways to increase the productivity and value of your business is by hiring the right business developers. This article takes...

What's Missing in EBITDA? What's Missing in EBITDA? What's Missing in EBITDA? What's Missing in EBITDA?

EBITDA is a common measurement for business value. But is it the right method for your business? What does EBITDA miss when it comes to...

tax strategy, taxes, deductions, EBITDA, CPA tax strategy, taxes, deductions, EBITDA, CPA tax strategy, taxes, deductions, EBITDA, CPA tax strategy, taxes, deductions, EBITDA, CPA

Chances are you're not making tax benefits work for you or your business. Imagine getting more money for doing something you have to do...

valuation, strategic valuation, strategic value, EBITDA valuation, strategic valuation, strategic value, EBITDA valuation, strategic valuation, strategic value, EBITDA valuation, strategic valuation, strategic value, EBITDA

Multiple of EBITDA isn't always the best way to decide the value of your company. There are more strategic valuations you can do, depending...

Podcast: Figuring Out Your Cash Flow, an Interview with Ken Sanginario Podcast: Figuring Out Your Cash Flow, an Interview with Ken Sanginario Podcast: Figuring Out Your Cash Flow, an Interview with Ken Sanginario Podcast: Figuring Out Your Cash Flow, an Interview with Ken Sanginario

Ken Sanginario runs us through the eight key value drivers he uses to increase a company's valuation. He also talks frankly about cash flow...

valuation, due diligence, due diligence grind valuation, due diligence, due diligence grind valuation, due diligence, due diligence grind valuation, due diligence, due diligence grind

There are a multitude of ways buyers can reduce the purchase price of a business. One of the cleverest is by using the due diligence grind...

A Closer Look at What Drives and Influences Business Valuations A Closer Look at What Drives and Influences Business Valuations A Closer Look at What Drives and Influences Business Valuations A Closer Look at What Drives and Influences Business Valuations

Business valuations are extremely complex and time-consuming, with many possible outcomes. See how your company stacks up against these...

sale process, valuation, terms and conditions, profit sale process, valuation, terms and conditions, profit sale process, valuation, terms and conditions, profit sale process, valuation, terms and conditions, profit

Stephanie Breedlove talks the actual numbers from the sale of her business so you get a real example of what's possible (and what not to...

valuation, exit planning valuation, exit planning valuation, exit planning valuation, exit planning

Tom Heller perfectly describes how long it takes to separate yourself from your business in a healthy and productive way, and what can be...

valuation, multiple, maximize value valuation, multiple, maximize value valuation, multiple, maximize value valuation, multiple, maximize value

Figuring out how to work the various elements of the sales process in your favor will increase your valuation.

goodwill, intangible assets, value, valuation, reputation goodwill, intangible assets, value, valuation, reputation goodwill, intangible assets, value, valuation, reputation goodwill, intangible assets, value, valuation, reputation

Your reputation has a direct impact on your valuation and final sales price. How you decide to present yourself will have consequences on...

valuation valuation valuation valuation

Valuations give you a lot of information and a great starting point when it comes to securing the deal you want. However, there are factors...

Tying the Knot: Getting to 'I Do' with the Right Private Equity Partner Tying the Knot: Getting to 'I Do' with the Right Private Equity Partner Tying the Knot: Getting to 'I Do' with the Right Private Equity Partner Tying the Knot: Getting to 'I Do' with the Right Private Equity Partner

Thinking of partnering with a private equity firm? You should be thinking about it in terms of a marriage. Find the fit you will be happy...

The Single Most Important Lever Driving Corporate Value The Single Most Important Lever Driving Corporate Value The Single Most Important Lever Driving Corporate Value The Single Most Important Lever Driving Corporate Value

There are many drivers that can increase the value of a business, but one is more important than any other. Find out what it is in this...

valuation, business model valuation, business model valuation, business model valuation, business model

Business models go in-and-out of style... or do they? You may be surprised to learn how you can repurpose an old model to give you new...

5 Approaches to Generating a Track Record for a Winning Valuation 5 Approaches to Generating a Track Record for a Winning Valuation 5 Approaches to Generating a Track Record for a Winning Valuation 5 Approaches to Generating a Track Record for a Winning Valuation

A company’s financial track record is one of the fundamental drivers of value. Learn five simple approaches you can take to start growing...